Visiting Portland - What to See and Do
(Portland, Oregon - OR, USA)
Portland is a relaxed, friendly and welcoming city with many green spaces and a thriving cultural scene.
Known as the 'City of Roses', it is considered by many to be one of the most pleasant cities in the US.
The city is divided by the Willamette River into two parts, the East Side and the West Side, with each district and neighborhood retaining its own character and attractions.
Ten things you must do in Portland
- Put your best foot forward for a guided walking tour of the city center taking in some of Portland's most interesting cultural and historical sights.
- Take the kids to see the animals at the award-winning Oregon Zoo, which is home to exotic species from around the world.
- Step back in time with a visit to one of Portland's excellent museums, such as the Children's Museum, Oregon Maritime Center and Museum or the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.
- Enjoy a taste of the Orient in serene natural surroundings at either Portland's beautiful Chinese Classical Garden or its Japanese Garden.
- Take a trip to the nearby Columbia River Gorge, with its waterfalls and spectacular scenery; river tours of the gorge are available.
- Learn about trees at the World Forestry Center Discovery Museum, which features a number of interesting exhibits and activities.
- View the wonderful art on display at one of Portland's superb galleries, such as the Chetwynd Stapylton or the Photographic Image galleries.
- Go for a walk or cycle ride in one of Portland's many parks and green spaces, such as the Tom McCall Waterfront Park or the Berry Botanic Garden.
- Get away from it all with an overnight camping trip to the nearby Government Island State Recreation Area, which is popular with anglers and fly fishermen.
- Dine out at one of Portland's many superb restaurants and then enjoy a few drinks in one of the city's lively bars or brewpubs.